The Massachusetts Work-Based Learning Plan (WBLP) is designed to provide structure and depth to work-based learning experiences: to identify the skills to be focused on in the work experience; to open conversations about learning opportunities; to provide a structured approach to skill assessment; and to encourage reflection about short-term and long-term goals. The Work-Based Learning Plan includes a job description, list of skills, and reviews.
The WBLP was developed by the Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education through an interagency collaboration of employers, educators and workforce development professionals.
It can be completed as a pen-and-paper document or through the online WBLP screens or the mobile WBLP screens. The online screens, mobile version and resources are found at http://massconnecting.org and/or https://masswbl.org
· Massachusetts Work-Based Learning Plan Resource Guide (From the http://massconnecting.org/wblp you can read online or view/print the PDF of the guide)
· VIDEO: http://www.massconnecting.org/employers#video
Practice / Application Exercises:
· DISCUSSION: Talk with colleagues in your region or program to learn more about specific steps followed in implementing the WBLP. In your region or program, who usually writes the job description, skills and tasks? Who facilitates the reviews? Are WBLPs created through the database screens, pen-and-paper, or both? Are there any current thoughts about changing the implementation process?
· CHART: For your own notes, create a flowchart showing the steps for creating a WBLP.
· LIST: For your own notes, create a list of 3-5 benefits of using the WBLP.
· DATABASE EXERCISE: Open the database and navigate to the Reports/Admin menu. Open Report 2B: Skills Details to view/print sample WBLP skills, with job titles and job descriptions, for five or more different work-based learning experiences.
· SEE Topic 2, above, to learn more about the context of a work-based learning experiences.
To Learn More:
· Review the Signal Success curriculum to see links between the curriculum and the Employability Skills in the Massachusetts Work-Based Learning Plan.
· Review the CVTE Frameworks Strand 4 to see links between the CVTE frameworks and the Employability Skills in the Massachusetts Work-Based Learning Plan.
· View the VIDEO about using the database to create and manage Work-Based Learning Plans.